Coal/log fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in a mid terraced house with a front and back living room. I want one of those wood burning/coal fires in the back room. We have a chimney and currently a gas fire in each room both which we rarely use.

One of the reasons I want one is to reduce our gas bill. Our current heating system is a gas condensor boiler which we will still use. As our back room connects to the kitchen and dinning room hopefully when the fire is glowing it should heat all this side of the house.

Can these fires be fitted to a standard chimney?

How much work is required? Does the fire have to sit inside the chimney?

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Those "Decorative Fuel Effect" fires are the least efficient there are! They can look ok, but that's all I'd have one for. Suggest what you need is another radiator.

Fires can be surprisingly expensive to fit, to conform with all the regs etc. Try a fire shop. Yes, normal chimney.

If you want to reduce your gas bill, first things to do are loft insulation, draughtproofing, pipe and cylinder insulation.

Any chance of improvements there?

This old thread may be useful. They look fantastic set in the 'builders opening' with a neat black pipe coming from the top outlet.

The Morso Squirrel Heat is a good sturdy stove, take a google.
It will certainly heat up your back room and warm the back of your neighbours party wall. Whatever type you choose, make sure you go for one that burns coal and logs (duel fuel).

//www.diynot.com/mydiynot/bookmarks.php?type=forum

Sponsored Links
Done all the insulation to current regs so there is no problems there. We do have a good radiator in the back room and the boiler is only 2 years old and is an efficient one. There are no heating problems with the house I just thought a log burner would be usefull so we didnt have to switch on the central heating. I was thinking of getting one of those boxes that turn waste paper into paper bricks to burn.

I also like the look of the real flame.
:D

Those "Decorative Fuel Effect" fires are the least efficient there are! They can look ok, but that's all I'd have one for. Suggest what you need is another radiator.

Fires can be surprisingly expensive to fit, to conform with all the regs etc. Try a fire shop. Yes, normal chimney.

He hasnt asked for fuel effect (decorative). He wants wood/coal burner

He hasnt asked for fuel effect (decorative). He wants wood/coal burner

do they they use less gas then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: john d aswell tut tut

A wood or coal burning stove uses MUCH less gas than a gas fire does :LOL:

Thanks for your replies so far.

If I already have a gas fire wont the chimney be upto standard?

At the moment the gas fire is installed on the front of the wall and I would need the burner installing into the chimney meening removing the bricks from the front of the wall, does the little chimney just connect to the existing chimney?

Ta ;)

You could fit an inset solid fuel fire but this would be expensive to complete as sealing them and hearth requirements are involved. The best bet is to create a larger opening then put in a multi-fuel free standing stove. The pipe from this goes to a closure plate under the chimney where it connects to the liner. If the existing liner is for a gas fire it is probably Kopex type and not suitable for solid fuel which should be stainless steel. If you intend to burn wood check whether you live in a smoke control area, if so there are exempt appliances.

This will cost much more than a rad, but you'll not regret it and won't want the CH on when these are operating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back