Gas Fire Coals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new here so if wrong section please point me in right direction

I have to replace coals in a straxgax 16"" coal effect gas fire
The loose coals vary in price from as little as £7.00 for 10 and upward .
The standing coalblocks in the fire there are 2 are £70.00 and £35.00 each
So a new set of coals is to say the least expensive

My question is what would be wrong with removing the moulded coals and replacing the lot with loose coals ?

Sponsored Links
The way a coal bed is setup on a fire is designed by the company that makes the gas fire to give safe and correct flame. Consult the manual and call the supplier of the fire in presence of a RGI as tampering with the coal bed on a gas fire even placing coals in a bad position can cause a safety issue.

From where did you get the price?

Are you an RGI or a consumer?

[/wiki]

Sponsored Links
The coals shape, size and layout is dictated by the fire manufacturer, as an engineer if I do not follow the layout of the manufacturer I am at fault. Essentially you are fitting non manufacturer parts and in the event of a safety issue the fire would be deemed immediately dangerous, as the coals affect the flame's shape (flame picture) which in turn affects the products of combustion, you could end up with a lot of carbon monoxide.

If you do not have one already, get yourself a carbon monoxide alarm and fit it at high level on the opposite side of any room where you would be sitting and falling asleep in front of a fire.

Expertgasman - you've got to be setting yourself up for a fall with a user ID like that?

Expertgasman - you've got to be setting yourself up for a fall with a user ID like that?[/quote]

LOL. I try to be careful!
One should never sign up to a forum etc, at 2 am in the nmorning after t'pub. :!:

My question is what would be wrong with removing the moulded coals and replacing the lot with loose coals ?[/quote]

NO. definitely use genuine parts. The RETAIL price for a complete set is £55, inc. VAT but possibly plus P+P. If we had supplied the original fire, we would charge that. If it was sourced elsewhere, we would add another £10, as we have to make some cash for the time spent.

So, where did you get your prices from? You are likely to pay more from a parts distributor.

Tel. No. for STRAX is 01572 756956. They MAY supply direct, or they will give ypu details of your nearest authorised retailer.

Let us knbow how you get on.

Whats wrong with them?,If cracked/broken or missing then replace,if they are just showing patches of white you can get special touch up paint for gas fire coals,just make sure you replace the coals correctly&follow instructions on the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back