Replacing gas fire coals without manual

J

Johnwayne2

Hi, I have disconnected a gas fire here in order to cap it off, thing is there is no manual for re- positioning of coals,can`t find one anywhere on net,surely I don`t have to replace the whole basket and coals? Not many people keep their manuals. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The positioning of the coals on some models is absolutely crucial and if not done correctly will burn like a pile of crap and soot like mad

Sponsored Links
Make and model,all I know is that it`s a `diamond Deluxe` living flame gas fire. Can`t go in combustion chamber my ticket has ran out,before everyone gets all emotional it`s in my own home,just moved in,plus I don`t think you have to be Gas safe registered to put new coals on or simply put them back in place do you? it gives all that info to the user in the User Manual. Just need a helpful site or if there is another safe/legitimate way around it other than buying whole shebang. Of course I won`t be refitting coals unless I find manual.

The positioning of the coals on some models is absolutely crucial and if not done correctly will burn like a pile of crap and soot like mad

But then on a great many the manuals are absolutely useless and if followed exact to the tee the flame picture would be terrible. I've lost count the amount of time I've wasted fiddling around with coals and trying to decify useless diagrams in the manual.

But then on a great many the manuals are absolutely useless and if followed exact to the tee the flame picture would be terrible. I've lost count the amount of time I've wasted fiddling around with coals and trying to decify useless diagrams in the manual.

completely agree but as an RGI you have to test to make sure the appliance is burning safely, yes a customer can alter the positioning of their own coals legally and it does not matter , but an RGI is responsible for any work carried out in a customers premises and as such must make sure it is burning safely, no I dont agree that it is right but it is the law

Hi, I have disconnected a gas fire here in order to cap it off, thing is there is no manual for re- positioning of coals,can`t find one anywhere on net,surely I don`t have to replace the whole basket and coals? Not many people keep their manuals. Thanks.

Sounds like a bit more than coal re-positioning. Why would you disconnect or cap off a fire to re-arrange the coals? Or are you re-connecting this fire with some generic after market coals on the burner? If you were competent to work on gas fires, surely you would know the importance of the coals/bed layout on a LFE?

Thanks to eveyone for their help,will try site mentioned,I removed fire because the resrictor elbow was faulty and was difficult to access/replace without taking out the basket, you don`t have to be concerned about my qualifications Bolshy.

I'm not - but the sort of thing you're doing sends out the wrong message to others using this forum.
Whichever way you put it, you have worked on a gas appliance illegally. I'm not saying you weren't a RGI, but there's only your say so to go on. This forum actively discourages gas related work by the unregistered or DIYers. Nothing personal.

Fair point,,maybe it was a bit foolish of me to mention my ticket was up.I obviously do not advise anybody to mess with gas appliances if not properly qualified. Don`t know how Regs stand on this but having a chat about this to some of our service engineers and they have said that when they check a LFE they don`t check position of coals unless it is a service,they only test for spillage and if that is ok,surely the coals must be positioned adequately,that being the case, if I were to reposition coals,check flame picture and spillage and it passed,would this then be o.k?? It`s an interesting one and I`m going to ask our senior Gas engineers.If anyone can add any further advice I would be grateful.I see you can go in CC if you are a retired gas fitter, anyone know if you can go in if you can prove you are gas qualified (no badge) and have your old number/paper qualifications or will I have to wait until I am re registered?

What a silly mistake............. Mentioning your gas safe is up on here!!! Tut tut :)

Yeah, I know, expecting to be summoned before the commitee of the `we run the forum` regular posters at any moment.Some right whopper`s on here mate, some of `em think they`re God`s gift.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back