Cracked Grout

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Any advice on grouting - the grout in my shower keeps cracking and I'm concerned it's going to allow water seepage.

I used 20mm ply board water proof and flexable adhesive and grout and it has still cracked. But only in the shower!

Any advise on weather it may be the steam or something I have started to notice mold accumilating - shower has been built approx 6 months.

Sponsored Links
Down the joints all vertical no horizontal cracks.

The grout is not impervious to water so moisture has got into the ply and it has swollen due to the moisture.

You should not really have used ply. Best to rip it all out, use aquapanel in place of the ply then tank with something like BAL WP1 and then retile.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Bugger. Slight problem, got the tiles from tiles R us closing down sale. No more stock. Sh*t. Any other advise? :(

The tiles R us brand, flexable, waterproof - suitable for showers (apparently)

It was the powder type that you mix with water.

Jasonb said:
The grout is not impervious to water so moisture has got into the ply and it has swollen due to the moisture.
How does that account for the fact that all the cracks are vertical?

JasonB said:
You should not really have used ply.
There's nothing wrong with using plywood, as long as it's either WBP or marine.

If the the grout is cracking vertically then the tiles are moving horizontally, which means that the walls are moving. The answer? Stop the walls moving - next time you'll do this before you start tiling ;)

Actually I think you may have hit the nail on the head I have a cuboard outside the bathroom with a dryer on a shelve it could possible be the vibrations from it.

Strangely enough though it is the two walls that are furthest from the dryer that have the cracks! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back