Cracked mortar - repointing ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched the site about repointing and as said, I shall use a lime based mortar.

My problem is; above one of the windows is 6 course's of brick and the mortar is cracked from the steel lintel each end away up the courses of brick to the top.

Should I repoint these cracks or get the bricks removed and relaid.

The house was built in the early 80's and the problem is on the weather side of the house.

Also the mortar is red coloured, is this OK with lime and red sand.??

Sponsored Links
Lime in the 80`s :eek: not the 1880`s ;) forgive my jest, but you`ve probably got batch mixed on site coloured pug :cry: which may be a sod to match .....either way you want sand/cement pointing maybe a dash of lime

I agree. I am an advocate of lime mortar but I don't See any advantage on a 1980s brick house which was build from Sand/cement.

Sponsored Links
OK. Thanks for your replies.

But should I repoint the cracked mortar from the Lintel along the different courses of brick or should I get them re-laid.??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back