Cracked partition stone wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just removed a section of what I thought was going to be boxed in old redundant pipes.

Instead I've found a big dirty crack :(

The wall is solid brick or concrete. House is 100 years old.

There's nothing above other than the roof.

Anybody have an idea what could cause this before I pay £300 to get an SE in to say "just fill it". (Hopefully!)

It seems coincidentally close to where the 22mm hot water pipe enters the room.

It's odd that they boxed it in rather than filled it in.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a contraction crack from a long time ago. If the external wall has no problems then its probably not a big deal.

But its hard to tell from blurry pictures

Thanks a lot for the replies Gents.

The pictures are snapshots from a video clip Woody, sorry about the quality.

The outside wall is fine and looking at the boxing in that was done to hide it it's been there 10 years+.

It's getting filled, drywalled and tiled.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed your user name - how did you dream that one up? :mrgreen:

I'm a Mech. Engineer to trade so I'm reasonably handy.

I'm no tradesman though, the nearest I'd ever get to being a tradesman would be if I........

:cool:

It should have been tradesperson really. :oops:

An update:

After removing the boarded tiles from the lower have of this wall it can clearly be seen that there are 2 different materials (brick and some type of block?) meeting right where the crack appears above.

Woodys "contraction crack" seems to make sense to me. Thanks to him and Joe90 I never let the missus pay 250 plus VAT to an SE to tell me that
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back