Cracked shower trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a problem for a few months, and having the afternoon off have investigated a leak under my ground floor shower. The body of the trap, where the pipe leaves to go towards a connection with the waste pipe, is cracked. This is over a ground bearing slab, although my builders seem to have dug out a little sump hole under. There's very limited access, but wondering whether it's feasible to replace the trap with the tray in-situ. If the tray had to come out, the door would have to come off, and as the walls are tiled down onto the tray I wonder how easy in any case it would be to remove.

I'll opt to get a plumber to do, but should I ask him to replace with the tray in place, or is each case different?

Sponsored Links
If you can reach the trap lying on the floor, I'd give it a go..... I did a similar leaky one under a bath recently which was disgusting.
Find a shallow shower trap which has a compression waste outlet, and one thats tightened with a screw from above.
A heavy bead of silicone is needed between the shower tray and the new waste and with someone to help you the job should go ok.
You've little to lose, really - at the end of the day if all fails, the tray needs to come out anyway.
Check out McAlpine plumbing wastes for excellent products.
John :)

I managed to replace the trap today; awkward, but running for about 5 mins no leaks so far.

However, much wet wood under, including the sole plate of adjacent stud wall. I've opened it all up to dry out.

thanks for the inspiration to have a go at this.

Sponsored Links
Now leaking! Back joint onto the waste pipe, so awkward to get at!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back