Shower tray bedding and trap fitting

Sponsored Links
That being said, it the MI states it must be installed using sand a cement and the warranty is to be retained then that's what needs to be used.

In this case the Manufacturer doesn't give any advice on what must be used as a base. I am receiving the tray tomorrow but I have been told that the instructions give no advice about bedding.

I think I am probably going to go with the skillbuilder idea of putting a plastic sheet between the tray and the tile adhesive. That way I have the advantages of tile adhesive as the bed, without damaging the tray if I £c$% it up. I'm considering a thin sheet of plastic above and below the tile adhesive. That might sound daft, but my understanding is that the bedding material is about levelling and support, and the tray can be secured with silicone on the sides, and the plastic would mean that I don't damage anything if I mess up on my first attempt.

I'm not entirely sure what the current flooring is. It seems like chipboard to me, but judging by the style of the previous shower and what I know about the house, I reckon its been down for 30 years and its solid, with no movement or sagging, so it wouldn't seem sensible to rip it up.

Why would you use a plastic sheet between the tray and adhesive????, that’s going to stop the tray being stuck to the floor

Why would you use a plastic sheet between the tray and adhesive????, that’s going to stop the tray being stuck to the floor

Like I said above

my understanding is that the bedding material is about levelling and support, and the tray can be secured with silicone on the sides

This is what the guy in the skillbuilder video referenced above said. Although he recommended against tile adhesive, he said that if you want to use it you should put a plastic sheet between.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back