Cracked Window - Need new unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Just noticed a long crack in one of the bedroom windows. The crack is on on the internal side only, so I guess it's a case of thermal shock (windows are around 20yrs old). It is internally beaded so my plan is to pop the unit out, measure it and then source a new one. I have a couple of questions:

• When taking the beading off, is there a particular order this is normally done in? e.g. Top, then bottom then sides? (Windows are Profile22, if that helps).
  • Where is best to source a new unit? Can I just rock up to a business unit on an industrial estate and get one there? Is there anything I should particularly look out for?
Many thanks!
-NS

Sponsored Links
When taking the beading off, is there a particular order this is normally done in? e.g. Top, then bottom then sides?

I went for 'middle of longest sides' first, with my thinking being that this has least amount of force keeping it in place.
I used yellow pages and google search and made sure they made them locally (look up glass and mirror cut to size suppliers).

SFK

If the corners are mitred then start in the middle of the longest bead and lever in towards the centre, once to have enough peeled away you can get your fingers behind and peel the bead off into the corners

If the corners are scribed in where one bead overlaps the other i.e. the top and bottom beads go first and the sides overlap then you can start at the ends of the side beads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back