standard thickness of DG glazing unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new DG unit for my window, it's cracked on the inside for some reason ( manufacturing fault? windows were new 2 years ago and I never open those curtains, noticed it was cracked just before xmas.. )

got the beads off to measure the actual glass size 750ish by 400ish ( got the exact written down somewhere.. ) but without actually getting the unit out I don't know exactly how thick it is..
I can stick a steel rule down the side for a rough size, but I'm unsure if it's going into any recess etc on the frame or sitting on a bead of silicone etc..

so is there standard thicknesses so that if it's say 27mm on the rule then it will be a 25mm unit or if it's 29 then it will be 30mm etc?

Sponsored Links
It's twice the thickness of the glass, plus the air gap (stating the obvious, really). So 4mm glass with a 20mm gap will give 28mm. As you can see the gap without removing the glazing unit, you can judge by eye the size, which could be 12mm to 20mm.

The only accurate way to do it is to remove the unit and measure it; I'm not sure what stops you doing this as you've already taken the beads out.

Cracking is more likely due to faulty insulation than to a manufacturing fault: the edge stressed before the glass was installed, or spacers incorrectly fitted.

Stick something flat on the inside and out so the total thinckness is proud of the frame, this will make is easier to measure. Take away the thickness of what you stuck on and what's left is the DG unit thickness. :idea:
You could even do it on one of the other units if they are easier to access in and out - like next to a opener.

I've got the beads out and it still won't come out of the frame, so I'm assuming that it's siliconed to the outside frame..

there's nothing stopping me but I don't particularly want a hole where the window is while I wait for a new unit, and don't want to risk breaking the cracked glass untill i have the new unit.

Sponsored Links
28mm and 24mm are both standard sizes when using 4mm float or tempered glass.
if one or both faces is laminated then it could be 26mm or 28mm.
many combinations are possible and thinner units are/have been used but mostly in timber windows i would think.

a stanley knife blade (out of the knife) run around the outside glazing seal will release it, although you may damage the black seal that is built into the frame sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back