Cracking coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I repaint plaster coving without the paint cracking?
Tried painting it with normal Matt emulsion and it turned a bit soggy and started cracking.

Attachments

• 20201103_161019.jpg
    20201103_161019.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20201103_160958.jpg
    20201103_160958.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20201103_161036.jpg
    20201103_161036.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
plaster doesn't do that.

How old is the house?

We have been in the house eleven years and the coving was already there.
3 different rooms has had the same effect when painted.
Even just cleaning it with sugar soap has the same results.
It's like the layer of paint hasn't bonded with the coving.

Sponsored Links
It's just about old enough to have been originally painted with distemper, though your fault is not typical.

I'd try to get all the old paint off, then apply two mist coats of matt white emulsion, with a soft brush, thinned with 25% water and stirred very very thoroughly. This will soak into the "pores" of the plaster, which gives best adhesion. The frst thinned coat will practically disappear as it soaks in, but the second will leave a visible thin colour. Once that is dry, apply a couple more coats unthinned. Matt white is the cheapest, and a good surface prep even if you want your final colour to be something different. Keep glue or paste away from the plaster you want to paint.

Thanks for taking time out to reply.

I`ll try removing the distemper and re coating with emulsion.

I believe you can remove distemper by coating it in wallpaper paste, leaving it for half an hour, and then scraping off. Just to be extra sure, might worth running a difficult surfaces primer along the coving once you've got rid of the distemper - should help seal things up in case there's any small bits remaining.

If it is distemper, you can scrub it off with hot water.

The horse glue dissolves in hot water but not in cold.

At one time I had to clean it off quite often and we used to work with buckets, constantly boiling kettles to top them up.

You will notice the distinctive and unpleasant smell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back