Cracking grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The grout around a couple of the tiles in my shower has started to crack. The one as in the photo, is particularly bad and I am concerned about water ingress damaging the ply behind and ending up forcing the tiles off completely. Yes, I know that the silicone along the bottom is rough and needs re-doing :-/

What is my solution please? Presumably, rake it out and re-grout?

How would I go about raking it out? It has been in-situ for about 10 years. Gouge it out with a knife and screwdriver? Or is that likely to crack the tile? Use a drill-bit and drag along the joint? What would be recommended?

The vertical joints up the corners, I assume I could just silicone over?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230910_103638.jpg
    20230910_103638.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230910_103621.jpg
    20230910_103621.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230910_103614.jpg
    20230910_103614.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Corner joints could just be movement between the two walls. Often a bead of silicone will suffice. The other two images are more worrying. I would guess that those lower tiles are loose.

If you know someone with an oscillating saw, you can use a diamond grout remover attachment.

Corner joints could just be movement between the two walls. Often a bead of silicone will suffice. The other two images are more worrying. I would guess that those lower tiles are loose.

If you know someone with an oscillating saw, you can use a diamond grout remover attachment.

Blimey! Like butter.
Cheers.

Blimey! Like butter.
Cheers.

In practice, it won't be that fast. You need to align the blade to the middle of the grout, because the blade has grit on the top and bottom as well, you risk going through any glazing on the edge of the tile. After removing the middle, I often use a sharp chisel to remove the bits touching the tile edge.

You can however purchase manual grout rakes.

They are much slower though. Given that you only seem to need to deal with a couple of tiles, the hand rake will cost less than the diamond attachment.

Sponsored Links
In practice, it won't be that fast. You need to align the blade to the middle of the grout, because the blade has grit on the top and bottom as well, you risk going through any glazing on the edge of the tile. After removing the middle, I often use a sharp chisel to remove the bits touching the tile edge.

You can however purchase manual grout rakes.

They are much slower though. Given that you only seem to need to deal with a couple of tiles, the hand rake will cost less than the diamond attachment.
I have and have used the manual rake. TBH, I didn't get on very well with it. I ended up instead, successfully routing the joints out with a small drill bit on a job a few years back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back