Grout or Silicone Along Bathroom Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would imagine this question has been asked before but I couldn't find one. In my bathroom, the window reveal is tiled on all 4 faces. It's been grouted on all joints. However, the joint between the tiles on the sill and the window has started to crack and bits of grout have come out. I would imagine this is due to expansion/contraction of the uPVC window and not because there's been water standing on the sill. I want to put it right but I'm wondering whether to re-grout or use silicone sealant. I'm probably only going to do that one joint so maybe silicone would look odd when the rest of the joints are grout. However, I can see the grout cracking again over time. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
fouxdafafa, good evening.

My preference would to be to remove the [failing] grout and replace with a Silicone sealant.

Also if one area has failed then it is only a matter of time before the remainder suffers same fate?

chances are that the tiler when tiling the room was looking to save money by using grout in place of Silicone, the grout is faster, cheaper to install??

Ken.

I take your point. Maybe the tiler used grout because there's only about 1/8th or 3/16ths of grout between tiles and window. Also, with the window being brown textured uPVC maybe he didn't want the hassle of applying sealant - which could get into the texture. I tend to agree with you though, and I would probably mask off the window to stop sealant getting on there too much.

Sponsored Links
fouxdafafa, good evening, again.

There is a tape that is specifically designed for this function as well as smoothing tool

One tape is "tarpan" but gets crap reviews ??

Loads of specifically designed smoothing tools.

The Brown "Textured" window is an issue?? consider using a low tack masking take, BUT??? if you can, do some "tests" to ensure it does not cause residual sticky gunge when it is removed??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back