Cracking paint on window seal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me to what im doing wrong. I recently installed and decorated two window seals. I filled the gaps around the edges with wood filler, sanded them down etc and then painted them with undercoat and gloss. My problem is that they keep cracking. There is'nt much movement there and they didnt crack before. Its definately something ive done but I dont know what. ?????????

Sponsored Links
When you say window seals, I presume you mean sills and that they are cracking along the filler??

The problem with timber is that it expands and contracts with temperature and moisture fluctuation, especially when new.

The best solution is to use a flexible filler/caulk to fill the gaps before painting rather than a wood filler. You should still be able to do this now and smooth with a wetted finger, then give them another coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back