Paint cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone know why my paint is cracking?

I've just finished painting my bathroom with emulsion bathroom paint but the paint is cracking where I have used filler the rest of the walls and ceiling are fine.
I used Beeline Red Devil One Time Filler for the first time but after 2 days the paint has started to crack. I'm wondering whether this filler was too dry.

I left the filler a few days before painting so I don't think it was still drying.

I've sanded the cracks down but now wondering whether I should do something else before painting again as it may come back.

Either thinking of using an undercoat or maybe using a fine layer of poly filler. Any ideas will be most welcome?

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the filler too dry, but did you cut out the crack before filling it? 2 days is more than enough to let the filler dry.

I doubt undercoat will help because it's not the paint that is cracking, it's the plaster underneath. I would cut it out, making it a little wider and deeper and start again myself. Perhaps use a tried and tested filler if you suspect the other to be not up to scratch.

I think you might be right but it's not that easy to cut it out. I've added some pictures to show why.

Tempted to sand it and skim with other filler

Sponsored Links
Would be interested to see what others have to say about this - I often see this on older walls! sometimes it's a right mess and the paint comes off in little cm x cm squares.

I always put it down to the previous paint being on too thick

To get around it, I normally scrape it off, re-mist if I get as far back as bare plaster taper the edges with polyfiller, and then sand down and then repaint.

whitling2k

Cheers for photo's and nudge to where they were, doh!

Only time I've seen that on my walls is after skimming where there was no PVA applied but also drying too fast, radiators on etc can give that effect too.

If you don't want to rake the lot out, could give this stuff a go first? Just an idea. Never used, tho have used the ceiling paint stuff designed for fine cracks with mixed success.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/ProductDi..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back