Painting over already painted walls question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just removed all the mould from my bathroom ceiling and want to paint over it and the walls in the bathroom. The ceiling is painted white but has a few hairline cracks in it as well as patches of paint that are cracking, flaky and where the underlying wall is exposed (not sure if this is plaster - kinda yellowy).

I want to paint over this but not sure how to go about doing it, should i just use some bathroom ceiling paint and be done with it or use a filler paint i.e. polycell or maybe sand it down etc.

The walls of the bathroom are however not cracked or has paint flaking off, however there are a few places where a chunks of the wall has chipped off exposing the plaster (about 5cm by 5cm). The wall is painted magnolia.

In both cases do i need to prepare the walls in some way before painting and filling or can i just use filler/filler paint with the painted walls and just go over the lot with bathroom paint.

Bit of a noobie to all of this - any help would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Got some pictures - i dont really want to remove all the paint, but i also want the surface to look flat and smooth without the cracks, chunks of missing paint or any imperfections showing through.

Any help would be great

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/599/29072007036fz4.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2671/29072007037hd3.jpg
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6531/29072007038gw6.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/660/29072007039pe7.jpg

The second picture is on the wall (and pretty much the largest missing paint patch, the rest of the paint is sound), the rest are ceiling.

thanks

What do you want to do?, do you want a quick fix, or do the job properely?

To do the job properly, you need to scrape off all the loose paint, and sand it smooth, then I would suggest you PVA along the same lines as on the post 'painting problem, but just where the loose paint was.
I would even scrape a few inches either way to where the loose flaking paint is.
Then you can either fill using a suitable filler, or use 'polycell base coat', then do your emulsion on top.

I wouldnt just paint over it without scraping all the loose paint off first

What I have done in the past with mould is, wash it off with diluted bleach, and I have even coated the bathroom ceiling with oilbased undercoat, when dry, I then emulsion.
But, you need to let ventalation into your bathroom as the mould will come back, the oilbased undercoat will hold it at bay for a long good while, but eventually it will return.

Hi, thanks for the reply - the mould is pretty much gone and the extractor fan i'm in the middle of wiring up.

Today i used steel cotton to remove the flaky paint and sanded over all teh areas with 80 grit sandpaper. There is still some cracked paint areas, but they are not flaky. I was plannig to go over all this with polycell no more cracked celings paint and then anti mould emulsion.

Also i sanded down the areas where the plaster is exposed, i was going to use polycell wall smooth over for the large areas and then the polycell base coat all over the walls.

The plaster is very smooth and to the touch felt quite waxy - its not chalky or powdery or chipping, just feels very smooth. I do not know what PVA in regard to walls is?

I'm so new to this and people at homebase suggested using the polycell products, would this be ok?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I am not too keen on the polycell smoothover, but have used the polycell basecoat, and its very good for hairline cracks, and small indents, and its flexable, then you just use your normal emulsion over it.

Hi, would the polycell basecoat stuff cover areas where the paint has chipped off showing the plaster (about 1/4mm deep) - i'm only using the smooth over to fill the gaps where the paint has chipped off to the same level as the rest of the painted wall.

But in this situiation what is normally done, say if a whole wall was fine but a 50 pence size patch of paint was scraped off by accident - would you just go over it with emulsion?

thanks

I would, but I would try and smooth the patch so its flush with the other paint, or get some filler and just lightly fill the patch, then when dry, lightly sand, then dab that patch a couple of times with a brush, using a bit of your diluted paint, then roll as normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back