Paint splitting despite mist layer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at the end of my tether with this bloody wall! I've painted, scraped, sanded, filled, re sanded and painted again about 6 times and it's still cracking.

The previous owners had vinyl wallpaper in the kitchen which i have fully stripped then filled the small dips and dents. After painting it with a couple of coats I saw the paint was cracking in places like dry mud. I sanded it down, filled and flatted the gaps and tried again... And again.

Now on my 6th attempt I combined using Polyfilla "shrink and crack resistant" filler and a mist layer to prevent cracks but it still hasn't worked. Does anybody have a suggestion to stop this damned cracking once and for all?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you may not have thoroughly removed all of the old wallpaper paste.

Pictures please.

I'm really hoping you're not suggesting I need to strip and paint the whole room again? :cry:
What's zinsser guard? Are there any options that will only require painting the affected areas?

Also, would the paste be able to react through filler? The filler all appears to be fine.

Sponsored Links
So surprised paste can get through that many layers of filler and paint, but I'll trust you.

Thanks for the sealer suggestion. It sounds like it should do the job. I'll let you know how I get on.

All sorts of things can get through water-based emulsion - unfortunately - ink, dried out water stains etc, etc.

It's a bugger.

That's another thing, dried water stains. Suggestions on having it not come through?

Painting walls sucks.

Some guys say thinned oil base undercoat, i prefer to use a sealer like coverstain, also a zinnser product.

As Dec says the Coverstain is probably the best for your needs. Ive just bought 2 1/2 litres this morning, £23 from Crown Dec centre. The Zinsser range is probably one of the best around.

Quick update for you all. Got the zinsser, applied it, painted over, and...

Success! Looks mint now fellas, thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back