Painting wooden windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my windows are painted with Dulux Weathershield satin. I seem to need to keep repainting every year as it cracks and water gets behind the paint (I think it gets between the glass and beading). I am thinking of trying gloss - would that be the recommendation of you experts?

If I do use gloss what would my prep be - sand down, undercoat and 2 top coats? Or would I need to re-prime?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Dulux Weathershield is acryl based paint and... not the best paint for windows in rainy climate... I painted my window Tikkurila Valtti Teho. This is oil based paint, dry about 12-24 hours, but it is durable and weather and water proof.
I sanded down wood frame where I could and painted in 1 coat. It has spent 8 rainy months and window is perfect, no cracks.

Weather shield is also available in oil based. Personally for OB gloss i would always go with Sikkens XD. Prep as you have described. You could caulk to stop the water going down behind the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back