Cracks and gaps and flaky patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm some way into a decorating project that a good diyer could turn around in days - sadly this is not me! Having stripped lounge and hall of wallpaper i have now moved into the bedroom - the worst because of the state of the walls.

The roof was replaced and as a result these ugly cracks have appeared, structurally they are not a prob but it seems that a few bricks have been displaced and caused about a 1/2cm indent over the space of about two bricks, and hairline cracks across the frontage of house. Papering is not really an option and I would/could make a complete pigs ear!.. So I am in need of some advice about a product that would cover the gap - I have heard about something which is of an ice cream consistency which can be used by someone like me.... the house just needs a general patch up so the price is slightly elevated then move on.

The other thing is the paint in this room is very flaky and badly applied in some places, I don't really want to scrape the whole lot off and start again - any low cost and effective options? :confused:

Thanks,

Charlotte

Sponsored Links
any low cost and effective options?

I an word...nope! :(

Preparation is the key to good decorating..if you dont do this part then you might as well pour your paint down the drain, wipe the mess up with a few £20 notes and stuff that down there too..

(im speaking hypothetically here before the friends of the earth start!!!)

If you just paint your walls...especially over stripped wallpaper theres a fair chance it will flake in no time...all of the paste has to be scrubbed off first.

WHne thats done id suggest you give the walls a thin coat of water based primer sealer to reveal whats needs t be filled and give a good base for the filler.

Use a filler called easi-fil from B an Q..its cheap easy to apply and easy to sand down after...its intended for joints in plasterboard so dont try to fill any deep holes in one go...building it up

Use a wide bladed filling knife and keep us posted..got a pic?

Hi Zampa,

Thanks for the advice.

I may change my mind about the papering, because of the quality of finish I would get as compared to paint. It is an old wall - don't want to discover that the paint just shows up imperfections. Still undecided.

Also you mentioned a base coat on the walls if you are painting straight on to plaster - I have removed all of the glue off the walls and started to fill the holes. What is a water based primer - plain emoulsion? and does it seal the plaster? Then I just paint straight on top?

The thought of hanging wallpaper :unsure:

If you have got all the paste off nicely you could give it a coat of thinned out vinyl matt..id suggest a creamy colour so you can see any imperfections in the surface.

It will 'seal' the wall to a degree.

Have you consdiered lining paper?..youl end up with a nice uniform finish all over the wall and a far better result.

Sponsored Links
Have been thinking about lining paper, and it might be the best option. I understand it's used for this kind of job.

And i'll give the vinyl matt a go too.

Its all a bit trial and error at the moment! I'll no doubt be back

Q. Why don't people like lining paper?

Is it true that it's a big no no with estate agents?

You were back quick!..20 mins..not bad! lol

Some people have told me they dont like lining paper 'cos you see all the joints'...rubbish...if its hung properly you wont, and its esy enough to hang.

You can even do it sideways.

Cant see why estate agents would have a problem with it...woodchip yes becasue its normally hung to hide something.

Its also a good way to learn how to hang wallpaper..if you mess a length up have another go, its only about £1.50 a roll.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back