Loose & flaky paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently stripped a room of its wallpaper which came off easily, but as it did it has pulled off the paint in quite a number of places so that there is now a mixture of patches of bare plaster, loose/flaky paint, and paint that looks OK. (I guess that when the house was built - about 15yrs ago - the plaster was not properly prepared for painting, and has not bonded properly - a lesson there!). Ideally we would like to emulsion the room, and I guess that means either removing all the paint, properly priming the plaster and starting again, or putting up lining paper. What would people recommend? Are there any other options? If we go for removing the paint, what's the best way to remove it? - chemical strippers look very expensive and messy, sanding would be slow and tedious! (It looks like there is only one paint colour - i.e. 2-3 coats).

Advice/comments very welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
I'd either line it, or get the whole lot replastered properly.

Nitromors is easy to use for stripping paint, but if its directly off plaster, you might need to start filling holes and marks created by your scraper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back