Flaky Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've stripped all the wallpaper in my living room to reveal painted walls underneath. My problem / question is that some of the paint is very flaky and I can scrape this off but where do I stop? When I have scraped the bits that come off easily should I scrape harder and remove the rest? (this could take years!) Is there something I can paint on the walls to seal the old paint and make a nice base for my paint? Should I use a lining paper?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm a bit new to this game...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You rally do eed to scrape as much off as possible...te paint flaking isnt happening by chance, theres a reason it (impossible to say what witut being there) but all the interaction is happening betwen that coat of paint and the wall....using a sealer may help but it won stick the flaky paint back to the wall for you.

Try as hard as you can to scrape it all off.....then seal the wall with a coat of dulux stain block primer sealer....then fill ...then as you correvtly mention, line the walls.

This sounds just like job I did last week. I put this down to the plonkers who painted the bare walls from new. bare walls were probably pva'd and one coat of emulsion. Ok short term untill paper is hung then when it's time to strip off, most of emulsion sticks to the paper not the wall. I usually let walls dry after stripping, scrape as much loose as possible off with a broad scraper, make up a full sheet of 80 grit paper and woodblock and go all round in a half moon motion. I like to use zinner 123 to prime, its a good base for linning paper but I do thin it a bit to let it soak into the exposed plaster areas. If it looks ok and not too many craters you could emulsion strait over the primer(1 thin and one round coat ) just as long as you have got all the paste off from previous paper.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back