wallpaper stripping problem, loose paint underneath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was stripping some painted over wallpaper and encountered a problem with the paint underneath.

When it got wet it scraped off very easily, to reveal a yellow paint, it also partially scraped off.

I then discovered on a section of wallpaper i didn't wet, that the wallpaper mostly came off cleanly when pulled. Looks like the wallpaper had not really adhered to the paint properly.

Also in some areas all layers of paint flaked off down to the plasterboard.

So, I've started scraping all this sh*t off, and will scrub down with sugar soap. I'll also be able to repair the uneven sections as well.

My question is though, before re-painting or papering, should I paint some kind of sealant/stabiliser on it?

And also, on the other walls I've not touched yet, if I can carefully get the paper off without disturbing the paint, can I paint it with something which will stabilise it so I don't have to scrape it all off?

One of my other rooms has flaky paint which I've partially repaired, i reckon the flaky paint must be as a result of the previous owners painting over this paint and it not adhering properly?

The house was built in 1985 so I don't think it is distemper?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back