sizing a flaky wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been helping some friends prepare a room for painting..dampish wallpaper came off really easily suggesting damp, flaky paint underneath, there has been a suggestion to paint the wall with pva to stop the flaking before repainting..I have sanded all flaky paint off and personally feel that after letting it dry thoroughly, lining paper would be the best bet..any suggestions..I'm training as a painter decorator and dont want to make a big mistake!!??:oops:

Sponsored Links
Your not my apprentice doing crafy jobs behind my back are you????

Ok..you have done the right thing so far by scraping all the loose stuff off back to a sound edge...forget the PVA...some people seems to think its a cure for everything...it isnt especially when it comes to damp walls.

Get a small tin of 'no more damp' or something similar and give the bad areas a couple of coats then you can do the lining paper.

It wouldnt have been wise to do it without sealing the damp as it could have reactivated salts in the plaster or drawn the damp through even more tus causing staining on the finish.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it..but since posting the question I've been to the property again and realised that the owner will have it all done as he wants regardless of what I say..sharp learning curve for a fledgeling painter decorator! I guess they teach us everything the long way round at college, but it is a bit frustrating not being able to do a job properly and use the skills I have learnt..thanks tho...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back