Cracks appearing in paint. Is plaster sealer the answer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I stripped the wallpaper on the walls that I am decorating and used sugar soap to wash them down.

I then filled holes with polyfill and used Polycell smoothover on the rough areas. I then sanded it all down.

Then next stage was to add a coat of polycell base coat for walls.

I then painted a matt colour on top of this from the B&Q colour range with a roller.

The problem is that hairline cracks are appearing on the final coat of paint.

I have tried sanding it down and re applying the paint but the cracks just appear again.

After reading the instructions on the paint again I noticed that it says that if painting directly on plaster, a coat of plaster sealer should be used.

This is a step that I missed out and I think is maybe the reason that the cracks are appearing. Can I now just paint a coat of this plaster sealer on top of the paint that I have already put on the walls? And then put another layer of basecoat followed by the mat paint on top of the plaster sealer?

Or will I have to strip off all the paint I have put on so far?

Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
I'm not too sure. I think I only noticed them after the 3rd coat, but maybe they didn't have time to develop after the other coats (before the next coat went on.)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back