Cracks around window mortar - ignore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

Our windows are old (20+ years) and desperately need replacing but with the financial situation as it is i need to get four or five more years out of them
The upstairs window sill has always had wierd looking mortaring undernearth as if they plastered it over the brick but hasnt caused problems in 20 odd years.

I noticed this week however while cleaning them that there mortar underneath has quite a few cracks, i think these are superficial and can be left until i replace the windows- repointing first floor has the potential to be pricey i think due to need for scaffolding if they dont want to use a double ladder.

Just really hoping the vets on here can advise if this is indeed superficial and can be ignored.

Thanks.
First cracks below at various magnifications

cracks.jpg
CRACKS2.jpg
cracks4.jpg

Second crack here

CRACKS3.jpg

Attachments

• CRACKS3.jpg
    CRACKS3.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Looks like it has been patched. Can see red and gray pointing.
Not to worry unless you really want to tackle it.
Use duck tape to cover those wired rustics to keep clean.
If it's not causing any problems leave

Looks like it has been patched. Can see red and gray pointing.
Not to worry unless you really want to tackle it.
Use duck tape to cover those wired rustics to keep clean.
If it's not causing any problems leave
Cheers, to be honest i just want to get through to summer without any expensive jobs.
If it doesn't look like anything structural to you guys i will get someone to check it in the summer when we replace the flat roof.

I really appreciate the advice, i am dipping my hand into decorating DIY lately but clueless on bricks and mortar. For all i know those cracks have been there years. Thanks again.

Pretty normal. Can have various causes but since it's under a window it's most likely heat expansion/contraction of the window frame.

Sponsored Links
Pretty normal. Can have various causes but since it's under a window it's most likely heat expansion/contraction of the window frame.

That makes sense thanks, it should be fine to leave till summer though?

That makes sense thanks, it should be fine to leave till summer though?
I would only repoint if the wall was single brick, and it was leading to water ingress/damp etc. It's a trivial issue otherwise and has probably been there for some time. No need to worry - you can keep an eye on it and if it worsens then repoint. But usually with windows, you run a bead of low modulus silicone around the edges to allow the window to expand without affecting the brickwork. If you do repoint you might have to do it again in a few years.

I think they would struggle to fit the definition of cracks.

Cheers, to be honest i took a look at the windows on the other side and about five courses up from the window i found far more serious cracks in the bricks (attached)

Got a builder coming to take a look, google tells me horizontal cracking in brick is bad?

But i could just be newly aware of cracks that have been there forever and are insignificant and just need sealing with silicone? The cracks do not reach the mortar (although i do have cracked mortar in other areas, apparently that is common because of contraction in winter)

cracks.jpg

google tells me horizontal cracking in brick is bad?
Lol. No, not everything on Google is correct.

I'd be more worried about getting the Christmas shopping done, and cancel that builder - if he recommends any work on any of those cracks, he belongs on the naughty list.

I think I should have gone to Specsavers.
lol is this a nice way to tell me the cracks i posted today are also insignificant and i should just stop looking at my bricks and stick to helping people on IT forums? :)

Lol. No, not everything on Google is correct.

I'd be more worried about getting the Christmas shopping done, and cancel that builder - if he recommends any work on any of those cracks, he belongs on the naughty list.

lol thanks - i am going to stop looking at my walls now, i will no doubt find more insignificant stuff, gonna go back to the IT section and try to help people about stuff i actually understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back