Cracks everyware! Advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i'm just after a bit of advice,

We first moved into our house few years back and the ceiling in the front room were wallpapered, we removed this and below the ceiling was plastered but cracked, we had a plasterer in about a year ago the skim the front room, he put scrim over the cracks then skimmed the room.

Problem now is the cracks are back in the same places and in some cases worse.

Anyone got any advice and how I can sort these cracks out without getting a professional in, i'm not after a perfect finish just a half decent one.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's just cracks, and not the old paper pulling the skim layer off? What is the ceiling made of anyway,,, lath and plaster, or plasterboard? A pic would be handy too if pos.

Roughcaster.

Definatly cracks, all the old paper was removed before it was skimmed, not to sure if its lath or plaster board but it's a 1940s house and the plaster on the walls isn't using plasterboard

the answer to your question about sorting it out without getting a pro in is no, chances are it may be a lath&plast ceiling which is more prone to cracks than plasterboard in anycase any cosmetics you do will only be a short term measure as the cracks will come back as you have seen even the skim was only a short term remedy there are two real options one is to overboard the other is to take the ceiling down and reboard, i have a lath and plaster ceiling to do this week its full of cracks and i am overboarding as i know that in this case the cracks are going to come back if i just reskim it. I know its the answer you did not want but in my oppinion u are wasting your time doing cosmetics on it

Sponsored Links
Yep it wasn't the answer i wanted to hear but I think it's what I already knew.

Just been told it was lath and plaster that was boarded over and skimed a year ago.

Just been told it was lath and plaster that was boarded over and skimed a year ago.
i thought it was just taped over and skimmed? highly unusual for cracks to come back with it already being reboarded are you absolutly sure its already been reboarded?

If it was boarded over it should have been screwed well into the joists. I use screws and nails to be sure and 12.5mm plasterboard. if this is the case you can stll re-screw it to stop any movement then re-skim, so mayb not as expensive as you think (around £250)

i thought it was just taped over and skimmed? highly unusual for cracks to come back with it already being reboarded are you absolutly sure its already been reboarded?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back