Cracks in ceiling plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying unsuccessfully to fix cracks in plasterboard ceiling with following problem. Plasterboard has been fitted on a vaulted ceiling around Velux windows. The plasterboard is 12.5mm and the joints are unfortunately at the corners of the window making it a weak point. As a result, plaster cracks from corner of the window straight up and down the ceiling.

As a first attempt, I raked out and re-filled the cracks. They re-appeared after couple of days.
Next attempt - I raked out the cracks, sanded down the plaster around them and re-filled with toupret elafib and taped with toupret scrim again bedded in elafib. I then covered the whole lot when dry with surface filler and repainted - this time cracks re-appeared after a week.

So really - I am at a point of giving up unless there is another solution?

Sponsored Links
Just looked at it again and the flexible filer did not crack - what cracked instead was the surface filler applied over the top of it (Toupret Cachet Bleu).

Once I sanded back the surface filler, no crack showing through the flexible stuff. Not sure if that means I applied filler on too thick or something else? What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Instead of putting on one single length of scrim tape along the plasterboard crack/s, I put on a lot of small 3 or 4 inch pieces of tape, "across the whole length of the crack ".
It takes a little longer and you use a bit more tape, but it's far stronger because each single piece of tape is a separate barrier. Once the tape is on, go over it with a couple of thin coats of ready-mix, feather it out, then sand it down when dry with a 150 grit sandpaper. I do it that way all the time and it works a treat, even on minor cracks in lath and plaster. Try it and see.
Be sure to check too, that there's no movement in the plasterboard, and if necessary, put in a few extra screws before you attempt any repair. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back