Cracks in Coving/Over window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Planning to fix few things in home this summer and thus have posted few threads on here..keeping them separate as they are separate issues.

We have got cracks around coving joints as well as where they are meeting the ceiling, also some crack {or paintline} over windows, what could be the reason of these and how to fix them.

Photos below

View media item 42937 View media item 42938 View media item 42939
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Movement in timbers, common in all homes but more so in recent builds due to skimping on materials and quality in effort to maximise profits.
Timber as small as 2x2 used as noggins to try to stop timber twisting, when it fails lots of cracks.Floorboards which provide tremendous strength replaced by flimsy chipboard sheets.

Sponsored Links
ok what you want to do is first rake out the old paint/filler around the joints, just use edge of a scraper then dust off with a paint brush, sand down to create a nice smooth finish. get some flexible decorating caulk and apply it right along the length of coving apply twice as it does shrink. also make sure you sand before you apply the caulk because it csan be sanded just smmoth off with a wet finger.

You can also use a powder filler such as Easi-fill. I have no idea if it is better than caulk though Easi-fill can be used as coving adhesive. Cracks can also occur due to movement in the house, due for example to changes in the moisture level of the subsoil, perhaps caused by nearby trees. One house I nearly bought had a large oak tree in the small garden, and the council dimwits had slapped a tree protection order on it, presumably they wanted to make sure it caused structural damage to the house, as well as completely shading the house in the summer and autumn. I withdrew my offer when I found out about the TPO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back