cracks in exterior render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed some exterior render cracks that may be causing damp on an interior wall. The cavity has been filled with injected insulation and I cannot be really sure if the insulation is acting as a bridge within the cavity to carry water to the interior wall. I have bought some filler that claims to resist cracking and shrinkage but it needs to be applied to a dry surface. As we are now well into quite a wet October it is very unlikely that the surface will be dry enough to apply the filler. I have filled one of the cracks before with a sand and cement mix but it always cracks again thus the reason for wanting to use a filler that is flexible. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
How old is the house?

Render is typically applied because of some underlying difficulty.

A Pre-cav insulation survey should check:
why has the wall been rendered?
Any cracks present?
Any bulging present?
A Boroscope view into the cavity looking for bridging debris and snots on the cavity ties - are ties present - in what condition?
Any existing damp on internal walls?

How soon after rain does the internal damp show? Does it have a wall pattern?

Pics of outside and inside will help us to help you.

There are many similar posts on here and in the plastering forum if you search.

Sponsored Links
You would be surprised how much water can be trapped behind and enter through cracks in render. The building acts as a sponge and sucks it in. You need to cut a 6 inch channel along the crack and rerender it. If the crack is bad apply a wire mesh before you apply the mix. Obviously knocking off and redoing the whole wall is the preference option. Filler or silicon never works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back