Cracks in internal gable end wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Almost finished a rather long refurb of my 50’s bungalow but just discovered large cracks in (original) gable end wall in loft – looks like a couple of blocks have been removed in the past and this has resulted in the cracks.

On the other side of the blocks is a single brick skin (this was originally the external wall) – but at some point in the past a 2 metre (ish) extension was added – so external wall / gable end is now some 2 metres beyond block work in picture.

No cracking on the brickwork on the other side of the blockwork.

My question is - can I fill the missing blockwork (there is a Catnic lintel out of shot at the level of the lower block – so a solid base to work from) or should it be checked out by a structural engineer?

Thanks. IMGP0008.JPG IMGP0005.JPG
IMGP0008.JPG
IMGP0005.JPG

Sponsored Links
The materials and methods used suggest to me a build date some time after the 1950s?

Is anything structural supported by that blockwork?

The way the op walked into his house tonight suggests to me he's almost finished a rather long refurbishment.

Is the block work still level?

Sponsored Links
Re it's build date - 50's was an estimate - so you are probably right that it was built at later date.

I had a look at the time and couldn't see anything obviously structural on the blockwork. The rest of the blockwork is level and apart from the area in the photo all the rest is in good condition.

I'm inclined to fill it in for the moment and then keep an eye on it over the coming months / years?

Thanks

I get the impression that it's a facing, but not sure why. I'd almost be tempted to remove one, and check the state of the brickwork behind it first, then decide on the best way to handle it.

Thanks for the responses.

I can access the other side of this wall through a different loft hatch and all the brickwork looks fine - no sign of cracking or movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back