Cracks in internal Walls and garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've recently noticed cracks in one of the rooms upstairs. These cracks are no more than 1mm thick and start from the top corners of the door and move upwards diagonally towards the ceiling. There is also a crack down the left hand side of the door frame. After spotting this I started scouring the house for more cracks and found a few more above the windows in some rooms towards the front of the house. Again these are hairline cracks at most and not as severe as the one mentioned earlier. I also noticed a crack in the garage wall which I can see daylight through. My husband says that this one looks worse as it is on an expansion joint???? There is also a crack in the wall in the cupboard under the stairs which is again only about 1mm thick. I have contacted my insurance company and am waiting for someone to contact us to arrange a visit. I am really worried that it could indicate a serious problem with the house so was looking for some advice. The house was built in the early 80s and we redecorated when we moved in a few years ago so I know that the cracks in the first room weren't always there! Thanks for any help or advice!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back