Cracks in paint on kitchen walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I painted my kitchen walls back in February but I've recently noticed a few cracks in the paint (mainly in corners). The paint is lifting slightly along the cracks, but not flaking. The cracks are no more than 2 inches long. Any ideas as to why this has happened so that I can hopefully prevent it in future? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could be the paint isn't adhering to some caulk that may be in the corners or even that lining paper (if that's what you have) could be lifting.

If it is lining paper, re-stick with paste or border and overlap adhesive, caulk the join and re-painting should then be fine.

It's unusual for paint to crack just in the corners and lift so a couple of questions so we know what we are dealing with:

Is it just the coat of paint that you applied in Feb or is there any underlying paint that is also lifting?
What type of paint did you apply and over what type of paint was it applied?
When you painted, was it new/bare plaster? If so did you apply a mist coat?
Any chance of a piccy so that we can see for ourselves?

It's easy to tell you to sand back, fill, undercoat, etc but if there is something that is stopping the paint adhering it probably won't work.

As said previously, it could be caulk, which doesn't always accept emulsions well without oil undercoating first.
Grease contamination in kitchens also often causes adhesion problems and cracking.

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate, I wouldn't have a clue how to upload a photo. It's cracking in the corner where the door frame meets the wall (the door frame is really tight against the wall). Could it be because I inadvertently got some gloss on the wall and painted over it when I painted the walls? Both the door frame and the walls are white so I might not have noticed. I painted the door frames first and then the walls (using B&Q kitchen and bathroom paint). The walls had previously been painted with what I assume was a suitable paint for kitchens.

It probably is the K&B paint not adhering to the rogue gloss that is lifting then. The gloss is too shiny for it to stick to directly and should have been lightly sanded (or better still, wiped off before dry) before the emulsioning.
The best thing to do is sand back the damaged areas to provide a key on the gloss, surface fill and sand any defects and then apply some oil based undercoat to these areas before touching up with the K&B paint.

Lovely, thanks mate. It's not really that bad but I'm very self critical so want to avoid it in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back