Cracks in plaster around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster - any help gratefully received.

I recently bought a house and decoratoring for the first time. The room I'm decorating first has cracks in the plaster all the way around the edge of the pvc trim around the window.

image.jpeg

I was thinking of digging out the cracked plaster all around the edge of the window, and filling with one coat polyfiller throughout.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Is there another option that would give a better finish?

Apologies for the v basic question, and many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is there a piece of timber next to the crack or is it overpainted UPVC? It is hard to see in the picture.

Thanks Chris. To the left is plaster, to the right is partially painted pvc trim.

I think you have two options. Either put in a larger trim that covers the crack, or get rid of all loose plaster and anything stuck to the trim (is it partially plastered over?) and then fill in. If it's rather small I'd just use some acrylic filler, but maybe that's just my DIY bodge...

Sponsored Links
Easifill is a god filler, but doesn't do deep oles in one go

Add a bit of trim around the window?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back