Cracks in plaster walls - how to decorate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent today stripping some horrible textured wallpaper from my hall stairs and landing. I want to redocorate by painting, but I'm unsure whether to paint directly onto the walls or to line them first. Would rather not paper the stairs, but if I have to...

Anyway, the walls underneath have been previously painted and are in reasonable shape for painting onto after a bit of sanding. Only problem is some areas where the plaster underneath is cracked.

The cracks seem to be random and in the middle of the walls, but there are also a lot of cracks on the wall directly underneath the stair case.

My guess is that cracks in the middle of an interior wall are likely to be due to shrinkage and that filling them with caulk and overpainting should be fine?

The cracks on the wall supporting the stairs are more likely to be due to movement of the stairs. Will these be okay if I just fill them? Or do I need to line this wall?

Final question - if it does need lining, would any decorators be interested in just doing the papering for me and then leaving me to paint, or is it not worth their while if they're not doing it all?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back