lining paper and another quick question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all first time I'm using this!

Ok.........

I'm redecorting my hallway and stairs areas/upstaires landing etc and need some advice. The walls were covered in woodchip wallpaper which which was a headache to remove :eek: but its all done now :) .
The plaster underneath is cracked in some places but looks ok everywhere else. Would it be a good idea to fill cracks then use lining paper and then paint over it? anyone used it before?

Also: Would it be best to paint the wood/skirting etc first and then paint the walls or visa versa?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
I have had similar problems and found that once the cracks are filled and the wall relatively smooth then heavy grade lining paper is a good surface to paint on. Be warned that all but the slightest imperfections will still be visible through the paper (I spent a lot of time sanding and skimming - using that polycell easy skim stuff - before it looked ok).
As for the skirting/wall question I don't honestly know what the professional choice would be, but I tend to prime/undercoat the woodwork first and leave the top coat til after the walls are done...

Knight

This is what I do.
1: Repair the cracks using a suitable plaster/filler
2: Sand
3: Clean the walls
4: Prime the walls, especially over the plaster because this will dry in the paste
5: Line the walls, 1000 grade lining will do a good job and hide most repairs
6: Check lining paper to make sure all has bonded and secure
7: Paint

Regarding the skirting I agree with Krishnamurti, rub down and undercoat the skirting the fix to the walls, fill in holes is visible, the final coats after painting the walls, presents a far neater and more prominent finish

Forgot to mention, but when hanging lining paper for painting be sure to use a seam roller at the joins - the lining paper is then less likely to come away when wet paint is applied

Sponsored Links
But gently...or you will polish the joint..if you make sure you paste edges well you shouldnt need one.

Maybe that's where I go wrong - not enough paste! Thanks Zampa[/quote]

thanks for all your replies !

Zooming: when you say prime the walls- do you mean use dilute pva or emulsion dilute to prime them?

Knight

What i mean is mix up some paste and paste the walls, let dry and then paste and hang the lining paper. This is what i do because it acts as a sealent against the plastered areas and avoids the paper drying out to quickly on the offending areas

aND ALLOWS TO A BIT OF 'SLIP' WHEN YOUR PUTTING THE PAPER IN PLACE

dAMN CAPS LOCK!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back