cracks in wall around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm re decorating and i've found some fairly large cracks around the bay windows and I'm worried. I don't know whether to fill them in myself or if the problem is a bigger one!! help!!

Sponsored Links
you dont say if the crack in the the bay is up or downstairs.
if you have a mortgage on the property you should be insured against subsidence.dont cover up the cracks without seeking professional advice .good luck.

The cracks are in the upstairs bay. I've had two builders come and look and they both say that there is no bigger problem. BUT, one tells me to fill in the cracks (on the outside of the house) with silicone and the other tells me to use epoxy resin. The resin will crack again if there is any movement and the silicone is 'plyable' apparantly. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
fill the gap with silicone as this indeed will stay flexible .
but you still have the problem of what caused the crack.
do you live in an area with mine workings .?do other neighbouring houses have cracks?.
basically fill the gaps with silicone to keep the weather out but keep a close eye on it.if the gaps grow get help.at the very worst the front elevation will have to be rebuilt ,but it may have stopped moving and stay that way for a hundred years.reselling your house with this problem would be difficult if it isn,t rectified properly.good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back