Cracks in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last year we have noticed some cracks in our walls at the back of the house. We had a building surveyor from our insurers come and inspect it and he confimed it wasn't subsidence and wasn't anything that would be covered by insurance.

So we filled the cracks in, painted over them and had no problems but this year the problem has come back (in the last couple of weeks).

The cracks are visible on the outside brickwork too.

Any ideas what we need to do to rectify and would it be a costly repair?

Sponsored Links
PICT1327.jpg

PICT1329.jpg

Sorry they're massive pictures. Photobucket drives me mad.

Definately a fair bit of movement there. Looks like there has been an extension built in that area. Has part of the exterior wall been taken out for the extension? The brickwork looks dog rough in that area, which always makes me suspicious of the rest of the workmanship.

Sponsored Links
Judging by the other houses by us I think there was a lean-to there that had been removed (previous owners and wasn't picked up in survey back in 2006).

The bottom of the picture is above the door and on the right is the garage.

So what do you suggest we need to do?

It appears to be a cavity wall, and as such, cracks in the same place internally and externally would be a concern and a bit more than normal movement

It's also a bit questionable if your insurers surveyor says that it is nothing that you are covered for. No conflict of interest there is there?

What did he say was the cause? And why were you not covered?

We can't see the rest of the wall around the cracking, but from the image and type of crack then it does seem to be either some foundation movement or if that is a lintel below, something to do with that

The surveyor said if it was subsidence the cracks would be steering to the right externally not left. He basically fobbed us off with just wear and tear of the building although that judgement appears to be questionable.

Also we have noticed at the front of the house there is also a crack in one of the corners but there is no crack on the outside.

Apprantly the ground under the house is clay and with the dry weather it can break apart. Could this have something to do with it as the cracks partly closed up during winter when the ground was moister.

It does sound like foundations doesn't it? I think I might get on to the insurance again, we're with different insurers this year so might get a better assessment.

You will get a better assessment if you get an independent survey

That previous surveyor seems to have given you some nonsense. Those cracks are certainly not wear and tear

If the clay is shrinkable, in dry weather the foundation will drop and wet weather heave. Any trees close to the house will make things worse. How old is the house?

1960's and there is a big tree next to the house.

I'm going to get a surveyors report done and if the tree is an issue I'll be straight on to the council. Although it took a good 3 months of complaining before they came and cut the branches back as they were touching the house at one stage.

So if I get a survey through the insurance and if he gives duff advice I'll get an independent survey done too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back