Cracks on exterior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to paint the exterior of my bungalow, and need to repair some cracks first. They are only the usual cracks you normally find on old rendererd walls, but should I use decorators caulk, or actually mix some filler such as tetrion and fill them with that. I've heard that tetrion mixed with the paint you're going to use is a good idea. Is this correct?
Suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The first step to repair cracks in walls is assessing whether you have plaster or drywall, also called sheetrock, plasterboard, or wallboard. Only older homes were finished with plaster, a goopy substance that was carefully spread onto slatted boards called lathe. Plaster generally cracks and crumbles if you try to hammer a nail into it, while drywall is made of small aggregate material and plaster sandwiched between two pieces of paper. Drywall won't crack with nails or screws.

Repairing plaster and drywall cracks are similar processes. With plaster, changes in moisture can cause a lathe board to pull out from studs when nails lose their grip. If it seems like a warped wall accompanies the crack, first you need to reattach the lathe by nailing more nails through both the plaster and lathe. Then, hairline cracks can be filled. A plaster paste will either come in a powder or premixed from your home improvement store. Using a putty knife, fill the cracks with a small amount of paste. After it dries, you can sand it and paint the area.

Drywall repair more or less follows the same steps. The patch compound will be a different material though, sometimes called joint compound or spackling putty. Drywall will also withstand more sanding, so don't hesitate to spackle in two steps. The first stage will roughly fill the hole, but the second application will make the surface identical to the rest of the wall. In-between, sand with a very fine grit rated for use with drywall. If you wrap the sandpaper around a piece of scrap wood, you'll make a flat surface and avoid forming trenches or dips on the wall.

Sometimes larger cracks both in plaster and drywall need to be cleared of debris. With a utility knife, cut out a trench slightly larger than the crack and then brush it with a paintbrush to get out dust and dirt. The patch putty will have more surface area to bond to when the crack is large enough. Apply the paste as before, following it with paint.

To repair cracks in walls that are very wide, you will need a little more structure to make the repair stick properly. This is where patching tape, also called mesh tape or joint tape, comes in handy. Cut enough to cover the crack and extend a few inches in each direction. Now use more putty and a wider putty knife to push the paste deep into the crack using diagonal strokes that cross perpendicular to the crack

I'm not doing the inside, but thanks anyway. You ever thought about writing a book? lol!
The first step to repair cracks in walls is assessing whether you have plaster or drywall, also called sheetrock, plasterboard, or wallboard. Only older homes were finished with plaster, a goopy substance that was carefully spread onto slatted boards called lathe. Plaster generally cracks and crumbles if you try to hammer a nail into it, while drywall is made of small aggregate material and plaster sandwiched between two pieces of paper. Drywall won't crack with nails or screws.

Repairing plaster and drywall cracks are similar processes. With plaster, changes in moisture can cause a lathe board to pull out from studs when nails lose their grip. If it seems like a warped wall accompanies the crack, first you need to reattach the lathe by nailing more nails through both the plaster and lathe. Then, hairline cracks can be filled. A plaster paste will either come in a powder or premixed from your home improvement store. Using a putty knife, fill the cracks with a small amount of paste. After it dries, you can sand it and paint the area.

Drywall repair more or less follows the same steps. The patch compound will be a different material though, sometimes called joint compound or spackling putty. Drywall will also withstand more sanding, so don't hesitate to spackle in two steps. The first stage will roughly fill the hole, but the second application will make the surface identical to the rest of the wall. In-between, sand with a very fine grit rated for use with drywall. If you wrap the sandpaper around a piece of scrap wood, you'll make a flat surface and avoid forming trenches or dips on the wall.

Sometimes larger cracks both in plaster and drywall need to be cleared of debris. With a utility knife, cut out a trench slightly larger than the crack and then brush it with a paintbrush to get out dust and dirt. The patch putty will have more surface area to bond to when the crack is large enough. Apply the paste as before, following it with paint.

To repair cracks in walls that are very wide, you will need a little more structure to make the repair stick properly. This is where patching tape, also called mesh tape or joint tape, comes in handy. Cut enough to cover the crack and extend a few inches in each direction. Now use more putty and a wider putty knife to push the paste deep into the crack using diagonal strokes that cross perpendicular to the crack

Sponsored Links
Lol...missed the 'exterior' part but no worries b/c copy and paste is a great tool ;)

I'm going to paint the exterior of my bungalow, and need to repair some cracks first. They are only the usual cracks you normally find on old rendererd walls, but should I use decorators caulk, or actually mix some filler such as tetrion and fill them with that. I've heard that tetrion mixed with the paint you're going to use is a good idea. Is this correct?
Suggestions appreciated. Thanks

You need to think about WHY those cracks are there in the 1st place!!!!!!!

If i were you i would get someone in to do the job properly!!!!!!!!

Cracks are often the sign of hollow and unsound render and this render wall covering needs to be made good before any successful paint job is attempted, otherwise you may not be too pleased with the end result!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back