Cracks on the ceiling close to the bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure why the crack appeared. Few weeks back, after some rain, I noticed a discolouration in the paint in the corner close to the bay window and also bulges across the ceiling. When I ripped off the wall paper, I noticed that the wall paper bulged because of the water leak as the bulge on the ceiling was in the places were the crack ran across almost end to end.
I went to loft and checked. No hints of any water leakage (and the loft is boarded) So no leaks from the top / roof.
Assumption is that some leak has occurred around the window probably somewhere in the gutters above the window (first floor window).

It appears there was a crack which already existed. The big hole that you see is were the filler came out sticking to the wall paper when i ripped the wall paper out and whoever lived here then, have filled it and did a wall paper over it.

Planning to fill the big gaps with easiFill 60 - allow it to slightly dry and use tape and then fill again all cracks that has appeared. I dont see any cracks else where in the 1st floor ceiling. So doesn't look like it's subsidence.

Please do refer the image / video.

Kindly provide suggestions / advise if something else could be done.
Screenshot_20230217-154735_Video Player.jpg

20230217_133910.jpg

Thank you

Sponsored Links
OP,
Is this a first floor pic & is the bay roof directly above - Is it a flat or a pitched bay roof?
It appears that repairs have taken place in the past?
Without going mad, why not remove some of the damaged plaster, open it up - and then post a pic?

Hot air carrying moisture in house could be traveling through crack and hitting the cold air behind causing condensation. That could cause damp stains.

Need to open up and look

Hot air carrying moisture in house could be traveling through crack and hitting the cold air behind causing condensation. That could cause damp stains.

Need to open up and look
Agreed. That is one thing that could have happened. But paint discolouration at just one edge roughly 20-25 cms width make me scratch my head that it is very likely a leak (or overflow) from the gutters (at least that is what I believe) plus cold air/hot air moisture - condensation which let the wall paper to bulge only where the crack existed.
Have ripped of the wall paper. Have sanded down the ceiling area. Now the other user requested that the broken bits pulled out which made sense. So I have attached few more photos for your reference.

Please check them below.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP,
Is this a first floor pic & is the bay roof directly above - Is it a flat or a pitched bay roof?
It appears that repairs have taken place in the past?
Without going mad, why not remove some of the damaged plaster, open it up - and then post a pic?

Yes, First floor pic. I have attached an external picture for your reference. Blue box from the outside picture is the area inside the first floor that you will see the discolouration. Hope that makes sense.

Rubble and few pieces of plaster removed.

Please find all the images/pictures attached. Discolouration attached as well for your reference.

Let me know.

Disclr1.PNG

ext1.PNG

20230218_132819.jpg

20230218_132848.jpg

20230218_123115.jpg

Last edited:
Cracks on laths seem to always fork out.
Triangular shapes so standard cracks.
I guess bay moved and it's cracked over time.
I'd pull it all down and laths as well.
Look at woodwork. Repair If needed. Primer preserver (clear) over wood. Lash that on.
Fit Insulated plasterboard and If you make template first cut and fit in one piece if you can.
Fill and paint.
Easy enough job although a little messy so plenty off plastic down. Maybe cheap tarps to cover.
Make template with hardboard with help lifting up. Make dead man T bar to hold board up.

Cracks on laths seem to always fork out.
Triangular shapes so standard cracks.
I guess bay moved and it's cracked over time.
I'd pull it all down and laths as well.
Look at woodwork. Repair If needed. Primer preserver (clear) over wood. Lash that on.
Fit Insulated plasterboard and If you make template first cut and fit in one piece if you can.
Fill and paint.
Easy enough job although a little messy so plenty off plastic down. Maybe cheap tarps to cover.
Make template with hardboard with help lifting up. Make dead man T bar to hold board up.

We completed the refurbishment work recently or may be couple of months back. This didn't show up for 4 months when we were doing the refurbishment. Yes it took months and months for a variety of reasons.

This issue suddenly showed up only few weeks back. Actually we didn't even realise that there was wall paper there. Only after noticing the bulge, when i tried to scratch the bulged area, then I realised there was wall paper there (and noticed a crack running through.
Don't have funds to carry out this work and don't want to make the place too messy as well, as the floors are all new.
Would like to do DIY now and see how this goes. I hope that's ok.

Have sanded (and wiped) the surface earlier today. So planning to just refill the hole and then let that filling dry and refill over again with fibre glass tape across the cracks. Also will try and use the tape where ever possible across the cracks.
Filler - Easyfill 60
Would like to keep it simple this time. If this again develops to anything serious that needs attention, then will go ahead with what you suggested. Hope that's ok.

Thanks

OP,
From the info so far there's nothing to indicate that the bay has moved.

Google up pics of a bressummer beam, and use the search box on here - your bressummer beam is possibly timber, and moisture thats entered the roof might have affected the beam & caused a little rot & distortion.
Make a selfie stick and camera, and leaning out of the bay windows take snaps of the whole bay roof, and bay roof flashing.

The main house gutter is sagging above your bay?

The main house gutter is sagging above your bay?

Not that I am aware of... As far as I am aware, it is not sagging. Did a selfie video after I noticed this. Didn't see any major leak though last time. I believe I have deleted the video. Will try and get a selfie video / image again.
By the way, fyi... we replaced windows recently. The external image that is attached here is from google maps and not a recent image though.

Fill to make good then stick wallrock fiber liner over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back