My house was built in the 1920’s and some of the construction is a little odd. I had an extension built a few years back and heard a lot of ‘why the **** did they build it like this?’ being said by multiple trades.
I’ve had a vertical crack running from the ceiling straight down to the top of the door frame in my living room since we moved in. I filled it once and it kept coming back so I gave up. I had a structural surveyor look at it and his view was that it was thermal expansion of different materials. This made sense because it was at the point that the bricks ended and a timber frame was put in over the door to hold plaster.
Over the summer I’ve noticed a big crack appear on the ceiling next to the existing crack. The ceiling hasn’t dropped it just looks like it has pulled apart.
On the other side of the wall the plaster has started to crack and big chunks have fallen out. The brickwork for the wall ends where the architrave starts and then there is a wooden post running behind the architrave which I assume runs up to the top of the wall where a wooden beam sits to carry the joist ends.
I’m assuming that something has failed at the top of the beam to post connection and the only way I’m going to find out what is by uncovering it all. Has anyone got any other ideas?
The thing that confused me a bit is if the ceiling is pulling apart I would have thought I should be seeing some kind of cracking elsewhere where it’s pushing into something else but there’s nothing I can see.
I’ve had a vertical crack running from the ceiling straight down to the top of the door frame in my living room since we moved in. I filled it once and it kept coming back so I gave up. I had a structural surveyor look at it and his view was that it was thermal expansion of different materials. This made sense because it was at the point that the bricks ended and a timber frame was put in over the door to hold plaster.
Over the summer I’ve noticed a big crack appear on the ceiling next to the existing crack. The ceiling hasn’t dropped it just looks like it has pulled apart.
On the other side of the wall the plaster has started to crack and big chunks have fallen out. The brickwork for the wall ends where the architrave starts and then there is a wooden post running behind the architrave which I assume runs up to the top of the wall where a wooden beam sits to carry the joist ends.
I’m assuming that something has failed at the top of the beam to post connection and the only way I’m going to find out what is by uncovering it all. Has anyone got any other ideas?
The thing that confused me a bit is if the ceiling is pulling apart I would have thought I should be seeing some kind of cracking elsewhere where it’s pushing into something else but there’s nothing I can see.
