Cracks!

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of cracks in my property that I would like to rectify.

Every doorframe in the property has a crack running from the frame directly to the ceiling in a straight vertical line (not stepped). Above two of the doors the wall sounds completely hollow except for the top couple of inches or so. The hollow sound stops in line with the crack. I suspect this means that the bit above the door is a stud of some description and if I take this down I should be able to correct it.

The remaining 4 doorways have 1930's concrete blocks above which are ridiculously soft. I think the cracks here have been caused by the removal of a lintel above the front door (now replaced) about 15 years ago. This caused some movement which doesn't appear to have got worse. How do I fix these blocks?

The biggest issue is that these cracks seem to open and close with the weather, I suspect because the blocks are only being supported by the wooden frames and they move with humidity changes/vibrations etc. This has caused damage to the wallpaper in two of the rooms so I would like to stop this before I decorate the rest of the house.

Sponsored Links
Back in january you were advised by another and myself - you neither thanked nor acknowledged the suggestions and advice given.

Most forums I frequent don't have thank buttons so I often forget on here. Rest assured that I did follow your advice and read back through your older posts. Unfortunately life overtook me (seriously ill relative) and the chimney issues slipped my mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back