Craig & Rose metallic paint any tips for getting good fi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently painting my sons wall (he wants metallic silver). I am using a B&Q shortpile roller but not getting the required finish (see joins in paint application). I am using long stroks in one direction anyone got any top tips?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would scrap the B&Q shortpile roller for a start and get yourself a medium pile sleeve instead as this will hold a lot more paint and are great for smooth and semi smooth surfaces which I'm assuming your walls are. Up to you, but try dulux or crown stores as you'll pick up a better quality sleeve although more expensive of course.
When rolling on the paint, load up the roller well and don't try painting too much of the wall in one go. Once the roller is becoming empty of paint, then back roll over what you have just painted and this will eliminate the lines left from the first roll, and also leave an even finish. This is called back rolling which I always do, or some people cross roll. If you've never done this before then just keep trying.
Also, you may need 2 or 3 coats depending on the colour you are covering, and the first coat won't look that good anyway because of this.
Hope that helps and I'm sure others will give their advice too.

Hi I have picked up a microfibre sleeve from Robert Dyas will give that a go. The lines I am getting are not from the stop and starting of the roll up but more so the overlapping edge between rolls in the vertcal plane. Will give the new sleeve a go and report back.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, just searching for advice on this paint as im having the same problem as you, ive ordered a microfiber roller as you suggested but not sure wether to give it up as a bad job, its had 3 coats already im hoping the 4th with the roller is going to do the job, can you remember how many coats you used?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back