HOW TO PAINT A METAL DBL GARAGE DOOR ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, I need to paint my garage door, the door is metal, it is currently red in colour with a type of matt finish ( not gloss)..I am under orders from "er indoors" to paint it white, I have looked at some metal paints at toolstation & wickes..and these say that I can apply directly onto the garage door with no primer or undercoat etc..but I am not to sure about that so what is the best way to change the colour from red door to white door without making a pigs ear of the job ?...also can anyone recommend a brand of paint for doing the job ( and undercoat or primer if required ) also best way to paint the garage door roller or brush ?....many many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Not really a fan of the splash it on jobs, undercoat and priming increase film build and promote adhesion so i think you're right to think 'trade'.

IMO the best exterior paint is sikkens XD, its an oil based gloss and you'd use the sikkens OB undercoat. Red is a difficult colour to cover so it will need a few coats. Definately double u/c it then you may get away with one top coat of gloss. Prime bare spots with a metal primer. Some use a mini roller and lay off with a brush, some just brush, i prefer the latter. A good hard rub down is essential for longevity.
Drying times will be long in current temperatures, you must give sikkens 24/36 hours between coats and plan the job so that its dust dry by the time any dew/moisture is likely to settle.

Hi..thanks for all the info you have supplied..I will have a look at the sikkens materials..and follow your advice...thankfully its not a huge job but I do want to get it as correct as possible...cheers once again !

As dc dec has said, you may have left it a bit late in the season for painting the Garage Door, as its metal,

I would say to `er indoors that you will tackle the job in the spring.

The damp atmosphere will flatten the gloss finish, on a good day it hangs around to mid day, then is back by about two o clock

Gloss it, then the damp will make a "pigs ear" of it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back