Special satin garage door paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am painting our metal garage door which is currently white. I am going to give it a sand and a clean, then a primer undercoat. My question is, can I paint the top coat with a standard satin paint or does it need to be a special paint? We are painting it a blue/Gray colour and their is a lack of colour choice on the 'garage door paint' but i have read you can use any gloss paint, but wondered if it was the same for satin?

Thanks

Matty

Sponsored Links
You certainly should not use just any old satin paint for exterior surfaces.

It seems to me you have three choices:

1. Spray-paint the door, or preferably get it sprayed professionally - car body shops will do it) in a satin or semi-gloss finish. This will give you a much more professional finish than painting metal with a brush or roller.

3. If you cannot afford to do that, then consider using Little Greene's traditional oil eggshell with the correct undercoat http://www.littlegreene.com/paint/finish/oil-eggshell (or I think Farrow and Ball make an exterior-use metal paint, I will check). Eggshell has a slightly flatter finish than satin, but much lower sheen level than high gloss.

3. Johnstone's Aqua satin claims to be durable enough for outside use and I know one DIY business which has used it over the whole of their frontage. Still looking good after 2 years... you can usually get it tinted or mixed to the colour you want http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...ts/johnstones-acrylic-satin--water-based-/816

I wonder if the door is galvanised steel or aluminium.

Either way, an appropriate corrosion-resisting primer or bare patches will help.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the door is galvanised steel or aluminium.

Either way, an appropriate corrosion-resisting primer on bare patches will help.

Good point. I was assuming a sound substrate but garage doors are prone to rust, you're right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back