Creaking from behind front n/s wheel help please..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After solving my light problem in my 01 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0TD, Im onto issue 2...

A rather loud creaking noise can be heard as I turn my steering wheel. I suspect it is the lower ball joint,if not the bush the ball itself... Is this an easy job to replace?

Is it easier to buy the wishbone with ball joint and bush attached and just replace the wishbone?

Pulling my hair out this morning, so happy with my new car, but this is a bit of a dampner..

Thanks in advance

Duncan

Sponsored Links
Funny how new - to -you cars give you 24 hours before making themselves noticed, isn't it :p
Replacing the ball joint may not be so easy on these - on most 4WD stuff the centre hub has to be released to allow the driveshaft to push back (but I can't comment particularly on the Suzuki).
Replacing the wishbone complete can be beneficial if the bolts are hard to get to, so I'd weigh that one up first. Most ball joints, if they are squeaking, have a bit of play too. Not all makes have a grease nipple.
Other things can creak though - anti roll bars, springs in their housings etc.
Maybe it would be worthwhile removing a track rod end, and then moving the entire hub by hand - just to see if you are correct?
John :)

well... I have...developments...... I rang the guy who I bought the car off..... basically I was having a look around the front wheel arch and noticed that there was a new spring fitted. I spoke to the chap who confirmed it had had a new spring fitted. Upon asking about the creaking he told me "ahh yes, it was creaking before we put the spring on, the mechanic did mention it... its a dry lower control arm bush, just needs a squirt of wd40.."...!!

Argh... I was frustrated yet, satisfied that what I thought may have been the problem, was what the mechanic says is the problem.

My only issue now is I have been told that the bush doesnt come seperatly, and I need to have the whole arm changed. Not an issue, as the arm (I'm hoping) is a job I can do. Does anyone know if the bush can be changed as a seperate part or is it right that the control arm comes only as a unit?

Thanks
Duncan

Sponsored Links
Back