create an opening through to extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i need to create an opening from a first floor extension into the existing house.

the existing ceilings are elevated (2.4m not vaulted exactly, but the joists were fitted above wall plate level. the new ceiling will be at wall plate level, 2.1m).

my problem is, the the height of the door needs to be approximately the same height as the underside of the wall plate that can be seen on the photos, meaning there is no space to put any support/lintel to hold the rafters.

to put a lintel across the door opening would mean that I would need to trim the wall plate and 2 rafters.

my question is:

is it ok to cut the 2 rafters and support them with a horizontal timber fixed to the closet rafters, leaving the load of these 2 rafters onto the adjacent rafters?

or could i put a steel door lining that, along with the wall plate, will hold the 2 rafters weight?

hope the explanation makes sense !!

Attachments

• opening 1.jpg
    opening 1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 207
  • opening 2.jpg
    opening 2.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back