Creating a stone/gravel/concrete track.. Anyone done it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
We live somewhat off the beaten track. There's currently no vehicular access to our house, so we park on a road and then walk across common land to get to the house. We're a bit tired of negotiating the mudslide that this path becomes every winter, and tired of carrying stuff up and down to the car. We now have permission from the landowners to create a vehicular track to the house. We probably wouldn't be using it every day (there's nowhere to actually park at the house) - just every now and then, when we have stuff to carry.
So, what I'm asking is whether anyone has ever done anything like this? Basically I suppose it will be just like building a driveway. But it doesn't need to be smooth - quite the opposite in fact, there needs to be plenty of grip for when it's icy as it's on quite a slope.
Here's what I am thinking of doing: dig two parallel trenches (distance between them to match the distant between car tires). Fill with hardcore. Pour in concrete (with plenty of ballast). The grass will be allowed to grow down the middle, to try and keep a fairly rural look. Please see the attached pics (link to album below) which show exactly the sort of thing we're thinking of (the track in the pics has been used by cars on a daily basis for years and seems pretty robust).
www.diynot.com/network/ClareG1964/albums

Any comments? How do we create a track like the one in the pics?
Thanks.[/img]

Sponsored Links
The method I used was to dig the trenches about a foot deep ( from memory ) and fill them with standard concrete mix. ( no hard core ) and then when the concrete was still green ( not set ) covered it with a inch or two of loose gravel. This was then trampled down by foot. Most of the gravel remained loose.

The other option is grass grid where a plastic honeycomb allows grass to grow while the weight of the vehicle is kept off the grass.

Google "grass grid"

Thanks Bernardgreen - we have just this minute been discussing the grass grid option. Will go Google now.

The downside of "grass grid" is it's a pretty uncomfortable surface to walk on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back