Creating New Consumer Unit In Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a question. Hope some you guys can help.

I have ran a cable out to my garage from my house, which will supply a 32amp ring main and a 6amp lighting circuit. How big should the MCB be in my house and how big should the cable be.

Also. Would i be ok with 7 socket outlets in garage, as long as it doesn't exceed 7200w?

thanks any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Rather more information is needed like what size cable have you run out; how long is the cable run; what other cables are there near by; does the cable run in any insulation.

The MCB in your house should always be enough to cover both the 32 + 6 amp loads - so 40 amps. The cable must always be capable of carrying at least this load. Yet you state you have already run the cable out and only now are you asking how big should it be!!!!

If it's a ring main you can have as many sockets as you want.

Sorry man.

thing is i have ran a 2.5mm, which i have a feeling is wrong. It's about a 25m run.

I will have guitar amplifiers plugged into the socket, so you reckon this will be ok?

For a single length of 2.5mm cable the maximum breaker you can use is 20amps.
There's no point running the sockets in the garage as a ring as the max you can pull will be 20amps so you can save some copper costs.

Major points though:

• The sockets in the garage must be RCD protected
    The cable in the garden must be steel wire armoured
    The works you describe is notifiable to the local authority before the work starts to comply with the law.

Sponsored Links
The works you describe is notifiable to the local authority before the work starts to comply with the law.

TTC

OP is in Aberdeenshire so law on electrical work is different.

But 20A*25m*.018v/a/m =9v voltage drop, so adding the length of the cable inside the garage you are almost certainly going to be outside the voltage drop limit of 9.2v, with a 20A max load, let alone 32A!

• The sockets in the garage must be RCD protected
    The cable in the garden must be steel wire armoured

how come they will need to be rcd protected. It is in a garage which is getting sheated?

is this still ok?

The sockets could be used to supply portable equipment outdoors, so therefore must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back