Creating shade for large windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some large windows, I don't know what you call them but basically like this:

1692634091736.png

They are south facing and let a lot of heat in during the summer. We are having them replaced and looking for good options to keep the heat out.

They are a bit large for outside shutters, unless anyone knows of any clever solutions. Integral blinds seem like the next best thing. Are they any good?

Sponsored Links
When I lived in the Netherlands we had sun awnings on all our windows (often called patio awnings in the UK) - they are very common in the Benelux. They look a bit like a modern version of the old shop awnings and are very effective, not to mention being available in wider sizes - up to 5 metres (the biggest I had to replace was that size). Maybe worth a quick Google?

That's a good idea. Can you have then for windows on the upper floor of the house though? I'd be a bit worried about maintenance and wind up there.

Sponsored Links
Can you have then for windows on the upper floor of the house though? I'd be a bit worried about maintenance and wind up there.
We did. We first had a 3rd floor apartment with them on the living room window. All the apartments up to the top (8th floor) had them, although they were built-in and operated with a sort of strap affair that came through the wall. When we bought a house later on the upper floor had electrically operated ones, whilst the ground floor ones required a long sort of crank handle affair to extend or retract them. I can't recall anything happening to either our awnings or those of my ex-in laws (outlaws?) - but we tended to retract them at night and in bad weather
and they weren't needed in the winter in any case. The only maintenance I can recall doing was to grease the joints in spring, and although the cloth used has a certain "shelf life", I really don't know how long they last as I never replaced one

The best options reflect the solar energy, before it even gets inside.
If you can live with some slight reduction in light levels, specify your new windows with a solar coating.
Brise Soleil also work brilliantly, they made a huge difference when installed on one of our south facing buildings at work.
I would love to have some myself, but DIY kits just don't seem to be available.
Instead, as suggested by @JobAndKnock, I have opted for a fold-out awning...

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It's best to reflect the energy before it enters the house.

Integrated blinds are half way to doing that. I was thinking of getting some UV cut film to protect some stuff inside anyway, but an external coating should be even better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back