Metallised Film for Conservatories

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large-ish P-Shaped conservatory, in a directly South-facing garden and it gets very very hot in Summer. I had looked at conservatory blinds but they are far too expensive compared to what I have available to spend (maybe a thousand pounds). I had heard that the metallised films that can be applied to the windows are very good at keeping heat out - Does anyone have any experience of them ?

I was thinking of applying them to just the roof - Would that work, or do I really need to have the whole thing done ? The roof actually seems to have a very light tint on it already, but doesn't seem to do much good.

my.php
[/URL][/img]

Sponsored Links
You could have solar control film applied to the windows which will reduce heat and glare but you really need to look at the roof first.
Another thing to remember is that solar films applied to Laminated glass will sometimes cause thermal fractures.

Assuming that your existing roof is polycarbonate triple-wall you could go for a triple-wall system with solar reduction inserts.
This is basically ordinary triplewall polycarbonate with semi-transparent silver tinfoil-like strips inside the polycarbonate. Haven't used the stuff myself yet but I've heard a lot of good things about it and it's supposed to reject 80% of heat.

Link:
http://www.smartpoly.co.uk/howitworks.htm

Ah - It is actually a glass roof, but the window film from that company is exactly the one that Mrs. T has samples of and has brought the whole subject to a head........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back